Learn more about installing the CodeBlocks IDE on Mac and Linux!
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Code Blocks is an excellent programming option for C. It consists of an open source, multiplatform integrated development environment that supports using multiple compilers, among which are: GCC (MingW / GNU GCC), MSVC, Digital Mars, Borland C 5.5 and Open Watcom. The default compiler that this Code Blocks package comes with is MinGW. NOTE: The codeblocks-20.03mingw-setup.exe file includes additionally the GCC/G/GFortran compiler and GDB debugger from MinGW-W64 project (version 8.1.0, 32/64 bit, SEH). NOTE: The codeblocks-20.03(mingw)-nosetup.zip files are provided for convenience to users that are allergic against installers. However, it will not allow to select plugins / features to install (it includes everything) and not create. How to Download And Install CodeBlocks ON Mac FREE Download BEST METHOD Its Damn Clear from the TItle! JUST DOWNLOAD IT AND ENJOY -.
In this tutorial, we'll learn how to install Codeblocks on Mac and Linux. Let's get started.
You may also like: Top 5 Free Courses to Learn Linux Commands
Install CodeBlocks IDE on Mac OS X
Installing Codeblock on a Mac is a single-step process. To install Codeblock on Mac, you need Xcode first because the Mac version relies on the Xcode distribution from Apple for its compiler.
Install Xcode on Mac
- For installing Xcode, go to the Appstore and enter ‘Xcode’ in the search bar. Then click on the app.
- Click on Get and Install App. Next, enter your Apple ID and password to download Xcode.
- After the download is complete, open the application, agree to the license agreement, and finally enter your password to complete the Xcode installation.
- Installing just Xcode isn’t enough, as we also need the GCC compiler for that. Go to the Apple developers site and log in with your ID.
- Search for Command-line tools and download the dmg file.
- Once the download is complete, you’ll get a package file (.pkg). Just double-click it and accept all defaults to complete the installation.
- Go to codeblocks.org. Click Download from the menu. Next, click on download the binary release.
- Then, go to your operating platform section (e.g. Mac OS X). Click on the link opposite to CodeBlocks-13.12-mac.zip to download the package, or click here to download.
- Now extract the downloaded file and open a New Finder window. Click on Application and move the extracted CodeBlocks file here (in applications).
- We need to authorize CodeBlocks to run. Now, go to System Preferences >> Security & Privacy.
- Now, under the General tab, we need to click on lock pad, shown below, and enter the password to unlock.
- In “Allow app downloaded from,” click on open anyway, a window appears showing the verification process.
Codeblocks Download For Mac
- Then, a new window will open asking us to run CodeBlocks. Click on Open.
- The first time it opens, all compilers get detected. You need to click on OK so you can change the compiler.
- We have successfully installed CodeBlocks on your Mac. Here is a simple program, shown below, to try the compiler.
Install CodeBlocks on Linux/Ubuntu
Installing CodeBlocks on Linux is easier than both Mac and Windows because it is already present in the package repository by default. All you need to do is update or install the stable version.
- Open the terminal and type the following commands one by one:
- After the installation, open Codeblocks. On the first launch, as with Mac and Windows, it will detect compilers present on the system.
- Select the according to your preference or leave it for default. Then click OK.
Download Codeblocks Filehippo
c,c++ 17,c++ beginner course
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.